Yes, I accept cookies to get the best experience on this website.

Bristol & West Hockey Club

"Bristol's friendliest (and most affordable) hockey club"



5th Team Match Reports

Somerset Gryphons ‘A’ 2 – 1 B&WHC ‘D’ - Saturday 17th February 2018

A tough away game was in order when we went to top of the table Somerset Gryphons.  The game started positively with some good possession and team work leading to us putting some pressure on their defence.  The pressure continued with a couple of chances being carved out but we were unable to convert.  Gryphons attacked well and also had several chances of their own but some fine defending and goal keeping managed to keep them at bay.  Gryphons scored their two goals in quick succession near to half time when some quick breaks through midfield lead to them converting the shots from just inside the D.

We didn’t let our heads drop and started the second half well.  A sublime solo effort from Ben Davison led to our goal within the first two minutes of the second half.  He intercepted a Gryphons ball in midfield before surging forward past three of their defenders to let off a strike from just inside the D to the bottom corner of the goal past their outstretched keeper.  The game continued in an evenly fought way with both sides creating several chances but the defences held firm.  A draw would have been a fair result but we were unable to get the elusive equaliser.  Nevertheless the team can be proud of the effort everyone put in and the way we continued to play some really nice hockey throughout the game.

Bristol & West D 1 – 1 Old Bristolians D, Saturday 10th February 2018

An evenly matched game ensued when Old Bristolians D came to visit.  The first half was an end to end affair with Bristol & West creating the best of the opportunities however both teams defended well so shots on goal were few and far between.  We did manage to break the deadlock however when a shot just in the D, after a break down the right wing, took several deflections before Ian Martin got the last one to ease it past their keeper.  Old Bristolians continued to press and a short corner followed soon after, the shot from which managed to get past our defender at the near post.  The first half ended 1-1.

The second half continued in a very similar fashion to the first but we managed to carve out several breaks in their half in addition to several short corners.  Unfortunately the shots from these either just missed or their keeper saved well.  An injury mid-way through the half meant that we had to play the remainder of the game with 10 players and inevitably this lead to continued bouts of Old Bristolians pressure on our D.  Fortunately some stout defending and good goal keeping managed to keep them at bay to enable us to hold out for the draw.

Westbury & UB F 0 – 4 Bristol & West D – Saturday 20th January 2018

We started the game strongly in the first few minutes with some nice passing leading to several opportunities on goal.  Our first goal came during this period when a strong run into the D by Ben Davison left him one on one with the keeper before a quick pass to Paul Addicott on the back post lead to a tap in.  We continued to press and carve out opportunities through the half but some superb keeping kept the score low.  We managed to get our second goal near half time when a short corner was drilled into the bottom corner by James Baber to take us to the half 2-0 up.

In the second half Westbury started to put some of their own attacks together but our defence saw these off with little pressure being put on our goal.  Our third goal came courtesy of another James Baber shot from a short corner.  We continued to press and had numerous other opportunities to increase the score line if it wasn’t for further superb keeping and some valiant Westbury defence.  A quick break down the right lead to our 4th and final goal as Ian Martin drove towards the base line and managed to sneak a shot in past the keeper at the near post.

That’s how it stayed until the final whistle, a well-played game with good composure and teamwork throughout which lead to the nice, and well deserved, victory.

Bristol & West D 7 – 1 South Glos B, Saturday 13th January 2018

A great start to the game meant we put lots of pressure on their D and generated numerous short corners but we were unable to take any of these opportunities.  South Glos took the lead when a long ball from the back managed to find their sole player in our half who was in open space and had a clean run at our goal before he managed to take it round our keeper and slot home.  We didn’t let our heads drop and continued to press and an equaliser soon followed from Ian Martin.  More goals came in the first half from Ben Davison (nice finish at the near post after breaking into the box to collect the ball crossed into the D) and Ted Rippon (short corner drag flick) before an Ian Martin goal saw out the first half.

The second half continued as the first had finished with us pressuring their defence and it soon paid dividends when a second goal from Ben Davison further extended our lead.  James Baber got on the score sheet with a deft little chip over their on rushing keeper to put the ball home and take us to 6-1 up.  Our final goal came from Ben Davison who managed to convert a goal mouth scramble.  Throughout the game we had numerous chances to extend the lead but some ‘interesting’ shooting and missed opportunities meant that we had to settle for the 7 goals.

A special mention has to go out to Pete Calvert who put in a very strong performance in his first game for the club.

Old Bristolians E 0 - 4 Bristol & West D

A sublime start to the first half meant that we dominated possession and territory which lead to numerous chances on goal and an Ian Martin hat trick in the first 15 minutes.  On all occasions he found himself unmarked in the middle of the D when the ball found its way to him before he managed to slot the ball past their keeper.  The first half continued with several more chances on goal with only a sporadic attack from OBs.

The second half continued in a very similar vein to the first with us dominating possession and territory leading to even more chances.  Only the sterling work of their defence and keeper kept the score line sensible for them.  OBs would occasionally have an attack but our defence saw to these with relative ease before sending it up the other end for us to continue our attacks.  Our fourth goal came from a short corner where Ted Rippon managed to drag flick it past their keeper.  Two further chances came late on from Dave Morgan who drove his powerful shot just wide and Steve Mildren who picked out an aerial before driving the subsequent shot just wide.  A thoroughly enjoyable game and a well-deserved 3 points.

Clifton Robbies 'E' 2 - 2 B&WHC ' D' - Saturday 9th December 2017

We started with a decent first 5 minutes with numerous breaks forward creating chances on their goal but we were unable to convert.  The game then flipped on its head as Clifton then camped out in our half creating chance after chance with us unable to clear the lines for any length of time.  Clifton’s pressure soon lead to a goal in the form of a powerful shot off a short corner.  The half ended 1-0 to Clifton.

During the break we managed to compose ourselves and this then lead us to start the second half by putting together some possession to help the defence out and relieve the pressure.  Clifton continued to break and their second goal came from a break down the right which lead to a spare man at the top of the D taking the shot putting it past our outstretched keeper.  We didn't let this get us down and continued to press and our first goal came down a break from the left that found its way to James Baber who duly put the ball in the back of the goal.

This goal gave us renewed optimism and we pressed hard searching for the equaliser.  It came a few minutes from the end when a long corner was eventually put into the far post where Josh Lindfield managed to get a deflection and put away the equaliser, and his first goal for the club, away.

B&WHC 'D' 2 - 1 Westbury & UB 'E' - Saturday 2nd December 2017

An open first 10 minutes of the game saw both teams have numerous chances on goal coming from counter attacking opportunities.  The best of our chances came down the wings and working around Westbury’s more experienced players in the middle.  Westbury took the lead with a shot in the D that managed to find its way past the defence and keeper.  In spite of this we kept pressing forward and our perseverance paid off when a break down the left lead to the ball finding it's way to Steve Allan free in the D.  Their keeper managed to spectacularly save the first shot but Steve managed to convert the rebound to draw us level at 1-1 which is how the first half finished.

We started the second half very strongly managing to keep Westbury penned in their own half and carving out numerous chances, both from attacks and from short corners, with the Westbury keeper making several fine saves to keep them in the game.  Westbury started to gain more possession and put pressure on our defence but we managed to defend well and continue to create chances.  The second goal came from Steve Allan who managed to get a shot away with a defender draped around him.  Westbury pressed hard in the final few minutes but we managed to hold on to a valuable win in an enjoyable game.

Old Bristolians 'D' 3 - 3 B&WHC 'D' - Saturday 4th November 2017

A great start to the game with two goals from James Baber in the first 10 minutes.  The first a simple tap in after Harvey Fraser's run into the D left him one on one with the keeper before he unselfishly passed to James for the finish.  The second a shot after turning strong in the D after he received the ball with a defender draped around him.  The first half continued with periods of pressure on the OB's goal with the odd break by them which we managed to defend well especially on one instance where Ted Rippon was left three on one but he waited patiently for the opportunity to tackle and take the ball from the attacker.

The second half started poorly with us not switching on which allowed OB's to score 2 goals on quick breaks to draw the game level.  We managed to right the ship and continued to press forward.  OB's had a short corner which we managed to see off before immediately breaking down to the OB's D and getting our own short corner.  From this short Andy Jowett took the shot and this was deflected into the back of the goal by Harvey Fraser.

The less said about the last 5 minutes the better...two yellow cards for our team in separate instances taking us down to 9 before OB's managed to score the equaliser right on the full time whistle.

B&WHC E 2 - 4 B&WHC D – Saturday 21st October 2017

A very soggy game for all during the interclub league game when the 5s played the 6s.  A strong start by both teams with the 6s getting arguably the better start with several chances as they managed to play their way through midfield and pressurise our defence.  The 5s broke the deadlock when a nice shot from the right hand side of the D managed to beat the 6s keeper at the near post.  The 6s drew level with a sublime reverse hit from Tom Darnley which he lofted up and over our keeper.  The 5s managed to retake the lead near half time when some pressure down the right wing and a drive to the base line drew the 6s defence out before the pass into the box which James Baber managed to finish.

The second half got off to a better start for the 5s with better possession in the midfield which had been an issue in the first half.  We managed to take it to 3 - 1 when a strong drive into the box from central midfield was finished off with a strike, from just inside the D, into the bottom corner of the goal.  Soon after another break down the right wing lead to a shot being fired in which was duly put in the back of the net by Dave Thomas.  The 6s managed to grab a late goal back from a well worked play down their left ended up with an overload in the box which Neil Darnley managed to capitalise on and put into the back of the goal.

B&WHC 'D' 1 - 2 Westbury & UB 'F' - Saturday 14th October 2017

An enjoyable and end to end game that saw Bristol & West came out on the wrong side of the 2-1 score line.  The game started at a frantic pace with opportunities at both ends of the pitch off the back on numerous breaks from both sides.  The first goal came within the first 20 minutes when a break down the wing lead to Ian Martin playing the ball into the D from the base line before Steve Mildren put the shot in the back of the goal.

Westbury continued to push and their pressure started to tell towards the end of the half when continued possession and opportunities on our goal lead to a short corner which was put in the bottom corner by one of their strikers.  The pressure continued and they managed to take a 2-1 lead into the half when some great individual skill by one of their players lead to numerous missed tackles around the D before a pass was played to an open player who put it back of the goal.

In the second half Bristol & West fixed some of the positional and communication issues that struck towards the end of the first half and managed to stabilise the possession stats.  The half continued with numerous breaks by either team along with numerous short corners for both but no one managed to score any further goals.  A hard fought game in which a draw would have been a fairer outcome.

South Glos 'B' 0 - 3 B&WHC 'D' - Saturday 7th October 2017

Another good performance by the team in an evenly matched first half where there was pressure at both ends of the pitch.  We had the majority of the scoring chances with the occasional break by South Glos putting pressure on our defence.  Our first goal came from a sublime break down the right wing with some quick passes which made their way to Steve Mildren who took it down the wing before firing the ball into the D for Ian Martin, who took a first time shot which their keeper saved, to score the follow up whilst on the floor giving us a lead which we held until the half.

We had a more dominating performance in the second half as we started to work on some of the more simplistic things that were lacking in the first half.  Our second goal came after a period of possession which led to a short corner which was injected and then slipped to the right where Steve Allan struck the ball past the defenders on the post to take our lead to 2-0.  Immediately after we got the ball and pressed forward, breaking through their defence, when Luke Berry was one on one with the keeper.  Luke took it to the right of the outstretched keeper before putting the ball into the back of the net to make it 3-0.  South Glos had one final attack before the end of the game when they managed to have a spare player free in our D but Merv Adams, who had been kept quiet until that point, came out and put the shot safely away from the goal.

Latest News

This year we will have a 7-a-side mixed…

Club Sponsor

England Hockey News

We are looking to host a workshop day around junior hockey, part of our AGM Governance review

Men's & Ladies' 1sts

home1 home1

Men's 2nds & 3rds

home2 home3

Men's 4ths & 5ths

home1 home1

Men's 6ths